Friday, December 28, 2007

Masterpiece

An excellent, excellent version (from earlier this year in Glasgow, Scotland) of Dylan's latest masterpiece, and it is a masterpiece indeed. Thanks RWB for the head's up. We were just thinking of this piece yesterday. It's intense, though. Enjoy figuring out the lyrics. They make this one seem easy. But as is usually the case, Dylan signs off his albums with pieces like this one. In fact, his signature sign-off on this album was this one. Note some of the others in the past.

So here is Ain't Talkin, Just Walkin' from Modern Times:



The sufferin’ is unending
Every nook and cranny has its tears
I’m not playing, I’m not pretending
I’m not nursin’ any superfluous fears

Ain’t talkin’, just walkin’
Walkin’ ever since the other night.
Heart burnin’, still yearnin’
Walkin’ ‘til I’m clean out of sight.

As I walked out in the mystic garden
On a hot summer day, a hot summer lawn
Excuse me, ma’am, I beg your pardon
There’s no one here, the gardener is gone

Ain’t talkin’, just walkin’
Up the road, around the bend.
Heart burnin’, still yearnin’
In the last outback at the world’s end.

B. Dylan 2006

No comments: