Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sunday Afternoon Reflection: Rock of Ages



Bob Dylan in Atlantic City, 1999.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When my eyelids close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
Behold Thee on Thy judgement throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

1763


Thanks, RWB. You are the best. Click link for more info!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Augustus Montague Toplady was a very interesting character. Staunchly Calvinistic Anglican who couldn't stand John Wesley, who printed a distored 'summary' of his translation of Zanchius' 'Absolute Predestination' designed to turn people against Calvinism. He died at age 38 of tuberculosis. He has some good stuff out there- 'Short Essay On Original Sin', and a sermon on the 39 Articles.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Babyblue, glad you like it. If you do link to the audio file, by the way, I'd appreciate if you also put a link to the post itself, in this case:

http://rightwingbob.com/weblog/archives/1031

It is a beautiful song. You quoted the real words. In my post I quoted the ones as Dylan sang them -- he takes liberties, or just forgets, as the case may be.

Unknown said...

I got it in the headline, but it should have been in the thank-note at the end too! Fixing it now! Thanks for posting!! ;-) Hope others here at the Cafe will drop by your site - it's a daily habit here!

bb